Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Just felt like hearing that tip-tappin'

     Sometimes I really have the urge to write something--particularly if I am on a computer that has one of the keyboards that make ridiculously loud clicking sounds whenever you press a key. I spend most of my time on my laptop and so it just isn't the same. There's just something about that sound that makes me think that I must be the world's fastest typist.

      As you've probably already guessed, today is one of those days, which explains the reason why I even bothered to write all this useless drivel. Usually when I get the urge to type mindlessly like this just to hear myself type, I just google up some typing tests and try and see how fast I can type (which, given all the random typing errors I make, isn't all that fast).

     The sound of typing for me seems to be somewhat therapeutic. I find the experience goes tenfold when I'm in a room full of people typing all at the same time (which is why I enjoyed taking the lab portions of my computational engineering course, though I never did any actual work in that class). Oddly enough though, when I am not the one typing, I find this noise to be rather a nuisance. Not that I notice it too much if I'm not in a perfectly silent room save, of course, for the sound of the typing.

      Anyway, back to the sound of typing. I find that somehow it makes me more productive and inclined to work and it also makes me more likely to concentrate on one thing for a very long time. (Namely typing). I am beginning to think that this is the reason that--though I do enjoy thinking about and creating concepts for my stories--I do not enjoy writing them. I am so obsessed with perfection and perfect plot and wonderful prose, that I end up re-writing the same sentence over numerous times before I am satisfied with it. Then, half a paragraph later, I realize that I can no longer use that sentence because it sticks out like a poorly written similical sore thumb. (I realize that similical is probably not a real word--and were it not for the word 'like' in that sentence I would have used the word 'metaphorical' in its stead. I should probably should have written 'it sticks out like a allegorical sore thumb' or something of that nature).

     This fact that I can not write with the apparent smoothness that I do when I write blog posts is what frustrates me to no end, and I postpone my jotting down of notes until a later date. This is a sad consequence of my laziness and unfortunately, because all of my stories end up being stored in my head, I loose much of the desired plot threads that I wanted to write up and sometimes even entire stories all together. (I know I can forget some of my stories because I remember my characters, and I remember how I visualized a certain scene, but I can not for the life of me figure out what the bloody hell they were all doing).

     Well, that just about sums up another one of my rants, or ruminations as I should probably call it, since my initial intention was not exactly to complain about my own writing habits. Anther one of the good things that come from ranting about myself is that I get the urge to do some story writing!


Motivation is great! I could have probably put it to better use if I didn't have a mathematics class to attend to in about twenty minutes. As it stands...

~Koshi~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Counter